Sunday, December 20, 2009

snowed in

We had about 15-20" of snow here in Arlington this weekend, so I've been stuck inside for most of the weekend. Normally, I'd be bouncing off the walls, but I'm enjoying some quiet time to catch up on a few things. Plus I'm very much looking forward to going home to Florida in 3 days! Still, it's times like these when I wish I lived somewhere consistently warm! Oh well.
Here's my neighborhood while the snow fell yesterday:

As reported, I got a new bike! Here he is:




I think it's all set for spring and early summer training, with a computer, 3 water bottle cages and my favorite pedals (Speedplay Light Action). Upgraded race wheels are a possibility, but first things first, a name....When I took a good look at the frame, the blue reminded me of Grover (the blue monster on Sesame Street). And so, he is Grover.





I will go near and FAAAAAAAAR with Grover! Remember this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf-HBMq9ggg

Finally, the 2010 race season is starting to take shape. I'll be racing independently of the Team Z calendar quite a bit (Mooseman, Spirit of Morgantown, and of course Ironman FL), but luckily will have a lot of team races too (Shamrock Marathon, Rumpass, Kinetic, etc.).

I'm also in to run guide with Doug Powell, one of our sight-challenged athletes, as he tackles Ironman Wisconsin in Madison on Sept. 12. I'm so lucky to have the opportunity to cross the finish line with him! Apparently the race officials have indicated that rules require guides to be the same gender as participants, which obviously presents a problem for Doug's run and swim (guided by Jen Baker), but Doug mentioned last week that he and Coach Ed are working with the officials for a waiver. So, until I'm told otherwise, I'm ready for 26.2 with Doug, and an awesome time in Madison with the team!

I happened to find a 5K in Ormond Beach, FL, where my parents live, the morning after Christmas. The race director is my old cross country coach at Stetson University. Should be fun race, and who knows, maybe a chance to take home hardware given the small field (only about 50 people registered so far).

No comments:

Post a Comment