Sunday, January 10, 2010

2010! Planning and a few realizations....

Happy New Year!! It's 299 days till Ironman Florida! It's been pretty comforting to get back into the routine after a hectic holiday season, and so far 2010 has taken me from sunny Phoenix...













...where I did my first swim of 2010 outdoors in 82-degree water and a glorious 16-mile training run on Jan. 5 in shorts and a tee shirt, back to frigid DC.



Someone asked me at a New Year's Day party if I have any resolutions, and I don't, but I do have a big plan for a lot of training and racing and fun this year.




In furtherance of that, I've (a) registered for some spring triathlons close to home (the Rumpass Bumpass Olympic Tri on April 17 and the Kinetic Half-Ironman on May 8); and (b) started a detailed training log to record my notes, nutrition, etc. Otherwise, marathon prep continues....The Shamrock Marathon is 10 weeks from today!




And, a few realizations....



First, training makes me verrrrrrry tired, and getting enough sleep will be a must this year.



Second, if I go ahead with my late season training plan (running Ironman Wisconsin with Doug plus an Iron-distance swim/bike @ Chesapeakman, both in September), I will have effectively done an Ironman before I do the Ironman. That makes me exhausted just thinking about it. I'll need to mull that one over a bit, but I still think it's the right move for training purposes, so long as I stay in Zone 2 for all of the festivities.



Third, a 10-week nutrition plan to get rid of some of the holiday weight gain may help me to a marathon PR; I read in Runners World recently that 1 lb. lost = 2 minutes faster for the average marathoner. Food for thought.



But first and foremost, some more fun up ahead. I'm leaving for Cruise to Run in 13 days!!!!

http://www.cruisetorun.com/

St. Thomas/St. Lucia/Antigua/Tortola/Barbados, watch out, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment