Saturday, January 16, 2010

JFK 20K Race Report

This was my first-ever 20K (12.5-mile) race, so I guess that makes it a PR. :) The freezing weather here in DC has finally broken a bit, and it was 40-ish when we started at 9am. The race was pretty low-key (no tee shirts or numbers, just a timing chip, a water stop or two, and some directions in chalk on the trail). We ran an out-and-back on the Capital Crescent Trail, starting in Georgetown and heading north (and uphill) to Bethesda, MD, then back again.

First 10K (56:00/9-minute-per-mile pace)




It wasn't actually this steep, but it was definitely uphill. Luckily, I knew this from recent experience, having done our first long run of the year on this portion of the trail 2 weeks ago. I tried to keep my foot turnover quick, and my posture leaning forward. Also, I tried the Gatorade Endurance Formula that will be the drink of choice both at the Shamrock Marathon, and the Ironman Series races I do this year. Luckily, it agreed with me.


Second 10K (49:00/ just under 8-minute-per-mile pace)




Again, a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the idea....Tried to turn up the pace, and felt pretty good. This 10K was actually about a minute faster than the one I did a month ago on a flat course.

Finish Time: 1:45:03 (just under 8:30/mile)

I really enjoyed the chance to practice an elevated effort at a long-ish distance before the Shamrock Marathon. Hopefully it will serve as good experience toward what I hope is a PR there in March.

I didn't wear my heart rate monitor, which was probably for the best. I felt like I was above Zone 2 (that's the aerobic zone best for most long training runs), but Coach Ed told us to "race it," and our training schedule gives us a reprieve from speed work next week if we raced this one.

Now I'm sitting at home waiting for the delivery of my new sofabed! I can already picture myself falling asleep on it while watching tv.

No comments:

Post a Comment