Monday, May 10, 2010

Kinetic Half-Iron Race Report: 5+2+1=Awesome

That's 5 restroom stops, 2 minor bike mechanicals, and 1 tree in the road blocking the bike course. It's awesome because I was able to stay in a good head space through it, which minimized the delays (at least by the time the run came around), and (most importantly) made it a fun day.

Pre-Race

I made the mistake of assuming I'd have "lots of time" because I stayed in a house 5 minutes from the race. That led to a lot of pre-race rushing around to get my packet/chip, set up my transition area, and organize my nutrition. It also led to - ahem - omitting a key pre-race restroom visit, an omission that would come back to haunt me later. Big lesson learned here is, add extra pre-race prep time to what you think you need. Then add a little more.

It was clear, but realllly windy (15-20 mph sustained, 30 mph gusts) and about 65ish at the start.

Swim

This was my first quasi-shore start, and good practice for IM Florida, which will start on the beach. Water conditions were good (71 degrees, light chop), and the field spaced out really early. So, lots of clear water, and a very nice swim.

32:20 (I think the course was short, but I'll take it!!)

T1

Not much to report. Kept a chamois at transition for the first time to wipe off, which helped a lot.

Bike

My digestion issues started here. I needed a restroom almost immediately, but didn't see any Port-a-Potties. Finally, I stopped at a marina at around mile 20. Ugh. It was well off the road and set me back on time. Shortly after that, I started messing up my gear shifting, leading to a chain falling off the small ring twice in one mile. Both times, I had to get off the bike and pull it out from the space between the frame and the small ring.

Turning Point: I started to realize that the day was going to be "a challenge." I'm not always able to intellectualize this, in triathlon or in life, but on this day, I was able to remember some truths as I see them.

Like.....This is my free time. This is fun ("a big playground," as described in the pre-race blessing). I'm doing what I love to do. I'm lucky to be here. This isn't curing cancer. The day is not going to be nearly as much fun if I get negative. So, I committed to keeping my thoughts positive, and feeling good right to the finish.

That came in handy pretty soon after I made this decision at about mile 30, as the winds managed to knock a big tree into the road, forcing us all off our bikes and into the grass around it. That was a first for me in tri.

3:39

T2

Ironman Cat Goldman was my guardian angel here. After battling the winds, and probably not taking in enough nutrition, she helped me find my transition spot and gave me a salt tablet while waiting for her relay partner to come in. Cat, thank you so much. I really was the Jackie you know and love after that, just like you said, and I have you to thank for it.

Run

I really enjoy running off the bike, pretty much at every tri. This time was no different, except for 4 restroom stops. I made them quick, though, and was able to run a negative split. Another positive first was wearing a fuel belt with Gatorade, which allowed me to take in nutrition on my own schedule. Felt strong enough to sprint the finish, with a smile on my face.

2:06

Finish Time: 6:25

I am really pleased that I was able to stay on a fairly good pace in light of the 8 stops, and was pleasantly surprised that they didn't cost me more time. My biggest achievement of the day was keeping the stuff going on between my ears productive and positive. Will try to remember that next time, and off the tri course, too.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you did it right! Congrats. I just added a new goal for Sunday - keep a positive attitude, no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Jackie! And nice race report. Way to keep your 'thoughts' in check!! See you at the pool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a question for you regarding your blog. Please contact me when you get a chance.

    Thanks!

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete